It’s always heartbreaking when we have to cancel our trip due to unavoidable circumstances and what makes the whole thing even worse is going through the cancellation process. Previously, cancelling a flight was a huge hassle which sometimes even required a fee, the cost of which went more than the flight ticket fare itself.
But times have changed now. Airlines are doing everything they can to make sure that their customers don’t have to go through any type of hassle. Carriers like Delta Airlines have made the flight cancellation process very easy, which involves no cumbersome processes. The Delta cancellation policy has been kept very simple which involves no complex procedures.
The entire process has become so trouble-free that you don’t even need to get in touch with a customer support representative and easily cancel your flight with the help of mobile application or on the website. Delta has also permanently eliminated the cancellation charges for domestic as well as international flights which are flying from North America. But there is an exception. Basic economy tickets can be cancelled for partial credit, for which fees will have to be paid. The fee will range between $99-$199.
If you also have travel plans but cannot continue with them, then you don’t have to worry about going through a tough cancellation process. In this article, we have presented to you a complete guide of Delta flight cancellation policy. This article will walk you through Delta airlines cancellation policy, Delta cancellation fee, Delta Airlines refund policy etc.
Delta Airlines Flight Cancellation Policy
If you need to cancel your flight, then you will not have to pay any fees if your flight is originating from North America. Here are the points you need to know about Delta cancellation fee:
- If you cancel the ticket within the 24 hour risk-free free cancellation period, then you will not have to pay any cancellation fee. The 24 hour risk-free cancellation period of Delta allows you to cancel your flight within 24 hours of booking. You can cancel your flight through the official website of the airline or through the airline’s mobile application. Even if you made a reservation in the basic economy, then also you will not have to pay any fee. You will be receiving a full refund through the original mode of payment. So if it’s not been 24 hours since you booked, and you have made a decision of not flying anymore, then cancel immediately to receive the full refund.
- If you booked a refundable ticket, you will have to pay no cancellation fee. You will be receiving the complete amount through the original mode of payment. All you have to do is just apply for a refund by Delta’s online form. Also, you can ask for a refund of unused trip purchases, which might include charges paid for in-flight Wi-Fi, priority boarding or other such amenities. To check the status of your refund, you can visit the website, or you can call (800)847-0578.
- If you have booked yourself in basic economy, then you will have to pay cancellation charges. Some people prefer to book themselves in basic economy because the ticket charges are very reasonable in basic economy. If you cancel within 24 hours, then you won’t have to pay the cancellation fees. If cancellation is made after 24 hours, you will be liable to pay charges. The price of the cancellation charges ranges between $99-$199. The remainder of the ticket refund is issued as eCredit.
- If you have booked yourself a non-refundable ticket, then you have to pay no cancellation charges for the flights originating from North America to any place in the world. If your ticket is not eligible for a waiver, then Delta cancellation fee will have to be paid, which might start at $99 and will vary depending on your travel itinerary. The remaining amount will be issued to you as eCredit.
- Delta SkyMiles award tickets provide some flexibility. If you are paying with miles, then you don’t have to pay any cancellation fee for the main cabin and above. But if you made a reservation in an economy award, then the cancellation fee ranges between 9,900 miles to 19,900 miles. In most cases, you are able to get your miles back. When you cancel your flight, the SkyMiles will be re deposited into your account. Here, the only exception is for the basic economy tickets. If Basic Economy award tickets are cancelled after 24 hours, then a cancellation fee will be deducted in miles.
Delta Airlines no-show policy
Some people do not know what a no-show is. So let us tell you that when a passenger does not cancel his reservation before the scheduled departure of the flight, then they are considered as a no-show. In other words, you don’t show up for flying and neither do you cancel your reservation. Such people are not entitled to receive any refund. These people receive nothing and lose the complete amount of their ticket.
Delta Airlines flight cancellation process
The Delta flight cancellation policy is a very easy process which can be done by you on your own without having to avail assistance from a representative. You can cancel your flight reservation through Delta’s website or mobile application.
- The first step is to open the website on any web browser or open the mobile application.
- Next step is to locate your trip by using your flight confirmation number, which you will find in your flight confirmation email along with the other details. If you are already logged in to your Delta SkyMiles account, then you will find your trip already linked to your account. If you are not able to find your flight confirmation number, then you can also use your credit or debit card number or your ticket number to find your trip.
- Use your confirmation number to locate your trip. You will have to enter your confirmation number, first name and last name to have the complete details of your flight.
- After you have located your trip, you will see a red button which reads “modify flight” in the top right-hand corner. You have to click on this to initiate the cancellation process.
- As you click on that button, you will see two options in front of you: start flight change or start flight cancellation.
- You have to click on the ‘start flight cancellation’ button. As you click on it, you will have to confirm the flight you want to cancel.
- After clicking on continue, you will see the next screen displaying your flight details. If you are ready to cancel your flight reservation, click on the button ‘cancel trip’ which is located in the lower right corner.
- After some time, you will see the screen displaying that your reservation has been cancelled. You will also receive an email confirming that your flight booking has been cancelled. The email will also contain other details like cancel authorisation code, information about your refund being processed through the original mode of payment etc.
Tips To avoid Delta cancellation fees
Sometimes it happens that you could have avoided the Delta cancellation fee, but couldn’t do so because you were not aware of the ways through which Delta cancellation fee can be avoided. If you want to avoid Delta cancellation fee, then you can follow the following tips:
- Cancel flight ticket within 24 hour risk-free cancellation period: If you want to cancel your reservation, then we advise that if possible, cancel your reservation within 24 hours of making it. If you do this, you will not have to pay any cancellation fee.
- Buy a refundable ticket: While you are making reservations in Delta Airlines, buy a refundable ticket if you think that you might have to cancel your ticket later on. To buy a refundable ticket, you will have to click on the option ‘Refundable’ while searching for flights on Delta Airlines, and you will see a list of refundable fares which are refundable due to several reasons. Here, you need to keep in mind that the price of a refundable ticket will be slightly more than the non-refundable ones. But, the advantage is that you won’t have to pay cancellation fees.
- Keep an eye on schedule changes: Sometimes your flight may be rescheduled or cancelled. If any of these happens, you will be eligible for a complimentary flight change or cancellation. When any such thing happens, you will be receiving an email with options to change or cancel your flight. The following situations will be eligible for waived fees:
- A change in the route of the flight which adds one or more stops
- A delay of two or more hours
- A change in equipment from Delta Mainline to Delta Connection
- A change which leads to a misconnect or cancellation with no acceptable routing available within two hours. In this case you will be receiving an email to either change or cancel your flight.
- Contact Delta Customer Service for any special circumstances: If you need to cancel under any special circumstances which do not fall into any of the reasons posted on the website, then you can contact the customer support team of Delta Airlines for assistance in cancellation.
This was all that you must know about the Delta airlines cancellation policy. We hope that this article helped you in gaining some useful insights on the topic. In case you still have doubts, you can go through the website or contact the customer support team for help.