Before making plans to travel with any airline, it is important to be well aware of all its policies. One of the most important policies is the baggage policy of any airline. It is essential to know how much baggage you can carry with yourself while flying through any airline. Most of the airlines are keeping their baggage policies very liberal so that their customers can carry all that they need without having to worry about the excess weight.
One such airline is Delta Airlines, which is providing absolute comfort and ease to its customers in terms of baggage. The Delta Airlines baggage policy is very simple and generous which allows its travellers to travel with their luggage without worrying about the weight of the baggage being a problem.
If you are going to travel with Delta Airlines anytime sooner, then you need to follow its baggage policy. Read the entire article to know about the ‘Delta Baggage Policy in detail. We will be covering points like Delta baggage fees, Delta baggage claim, Delta baggage weight, ‘Delta baggage size etc.
What is Delta Baggage Policy?
Delta baggage policy enforces the rules and regulations about the baggage that people can carry with themselves onboard. It has specifications about the baggage size, weight of the baggage etc. Travellers can check-in and notify the Delta team about the number of bags you will be carrying. You can do this within 24 hours of the scheduled departure of the flight.
Delta Airlines carry-on baggage policy
If you don’t know the regulations regarding the carry-on bag, then you will know everything about it after reading this section.
Every passenger is allowed to carry one personal item and one carry-on bag, free of charge. Personal items include items like a purse, laptop bag, camera bag or any such item which can easily fit underneath the seat in front of you.
The carry-on bag is subject to certain weight and size restrictions which are as follows:
- The combined length of the carry on bag must not be more than 45 linear inches or 114 cm.
- Individual length, width and height measurements must not be more than 22” x 14” x 9” or 56 cm x 35 cm x 23 cm respectively.
- There are no weight restrictions for carry-on bags except in cases of certain destinations. You can check the website for more precise details.
Delta Airlines Checked baggage policy
If you don’t know the rules and regulations about the checked baggage, then after reading this section you will be completely aware of it.
Checked baggage is subject to certain weight and size restrictions which are mentioned below:
- The size of the baggage must not be more than 62 inches or 158 cm.
- The weight of each bag must not exceed 50 lbs. or 23 kg. Here are some additional points which you need to keep in mind regarding the checked baggage:
- Travellers may be allowed to check up to 10 bags per traveller on flights which are operated by Delta or Delta Shuttle.
- Travellers may be permitted to check up to 4 bags on Delta Connection® carrier flights.
- Delta Connection carriers allow carrying excess baggage, on the basis of the space-available. If due to lack of space, the baggage cannot be carried on the same flight with you, then you don’t need to panic, because it will be transported through the next available flight to your destination.
- You also need to be mindful of the fact that the number of excess baggage per passenger may be limited, if the excess bags restrict the airline from carrying up to two bags per passenger.
- If your bags do not meet the weight and size restrictions then you will have to pay additional fees.
- Passengers can have their first bag checked for free if they have a card membership. This benefit is eligible only for those bags which are not overweight or oversized.
- The charges for excess baggage, overweight baggage and oversized baggage are different for different destinations. Therefore, it is important that you thoroughly go through the details for your destination on the website.
- Some destinations have some additional restrictions. Therefore, make it a note to check the website and go through the rules for the destination you are travelling to.
Make sure that you adhere to the Delta baggage limit, because if your bags exceed a specified limit, then they will not be accepted.
Delta Policy for lost, damaged or delayed bag
Sometimes, it happens that the bag gets lost, damaged or delayed while travelling. If any such thing happens to you, then you don’t have to worry because Delta Airlines is always there to help you with whatever problem you face.
If your baggage is lost, damaged, or delayed, then you have to file a complaint with Delta Airlines. When you file a complaint, you will be provided with an information folder by the agent. On front of the folder will be a reference number 8-10 digit alphanumeric code. You have to keep this reference number ready with yourself to provide quick assistance to the Delta team so that it can help you with your problem at the earliest.
As per the Delta baggage claim policy, to submit a claim, you need to visit the official website of the airline and fill out a form. While filling out the form, you will have to give the File Reference Number which is given to you by the Baggage Service Center at the Airport and any supporting documentation which might be needed to process your claim as per the Delta baggage claim policy.
If you want to track your baggage, then you can do so with the help of Delta Baggage tracker which allows you to track your baggage any time, anywhere.
Items which are Prohibited or Restricted on Delta Airlines
While travelling through Delta Airlines, you are not allowed to carry certain items onboard for various reasons most of which are related to the safety and security of the travellers. According to the Delta baggage policy, the travellers have been prohibited from carrying certain items for their safety, security and to follow the rules and regulations of the government.
Here is a list of items which are not allowed to be carried on-board:
- Bleach, pesticides, drain cleaning chemicals etc.
- Torch, blue flame lighters and lighter refills of all kinds
- Aerosol products such as cooking spray or anti-static spray
- Fireworks or explosives
- Meals Ready to Eat (MREs)
- Paints, lubricants or stains
- Matches which can light up by striking anywhere
- Items with refrigerants like refrigerators, air conditioners, freezers or dehumidifiers etc.
- Gunpowder and pepper spray or bear deterrent
- Things like hoverboards, balance gliders, self-balancing boards or motorised riding suitcases which require lithium or lithium-ion batteries
There are some items which can be carried, but they are subject to certain restrictions. Here is a list of items which you can carry but with certain restrictions:
- Tobacco, E-Cigarettes, smoking items, Marijuana
- Food or Alcohol Transportation
- Robots, Machine, Household things, other
Sporting & Leisure items
- Personal Care & Medical Items
- Battery or Fuel- Powered
- Ammunition, Explosives etc.
There are some more items which fall under this list. We advise you to go through the website to know more about those items and read properly the instructions which you need to follow while carrying them.
With this, we have reached the end of the article. We hope that you found some useful insights about Delta baggage policy. If there is something you are not clear about, then you can go through the website once or you can also choose to call the delta customer service team for assistance.